Sunday, May 4, 2008

Running

I need to be able to easily run 3.1 miles. Actually, I need to be able to run this distance after both swimming and biking. Today I went down to the trail without the stroller. I did, however, bring the labradork. It's 0.70 miles from my house to the trail. I used that distance as a walking warm-up. When I hit the trail I started running, if you can call it that. It's more of a slow jog that I will call running from this point on. I ran/walked the next 3.6 miles with more running than walking. I'm building up to running the whole 3.6 miles then running the 3.6 miles faster.

About halfway down the trail there's a road that has to be crossed. A car was coming and I stopped. I was a world away and wondering if I'd just peed myself a bit (note to self - add kegels to exercise regimen) when I noticed a man without a shirt and a very large rottweiler. He started asking me about the trail, where it led etc. I huffed out some basic information and took off up the trail - this time with the thought that I'd like to put some distance between myself and him. There were enough people about that I felt relatively safe. And although this individual did walk up the trail behind me (nearly as fast as I "ran") he didn't bother me and kept his very large dog on a leash. Thank goodness because I am not a gazelle. Definitely not.

At 136.5 pounds I am the biggest I've ever been (excluding pregnancy). For a while I've been bouncing around that "still healthy weight" on the BMI charts. But now I've pushed over the boundary into officially overweight. Before my third child I weighed 120 pounds; a more appropriate weight for my frame. Imagine carrying around two bags of flour with you where ever you go. This is what I've done to myself. Now imagine running with those bags of flour.

Ironically I am in better running shape now than a couple of years ago. Two years back I decided to run a half-marathon. I went from no running to completing the marathon in three months. That training has stuck with me and my muscles still seem to have memory of that event. Hello gluteus maximus, nice to see you again! During my running days I did not lose a lot of weight but I went down two clothing sizes. I'd like to see a little of both happen this time but am honestly more concerned with feeling and being healthy. My asthma is better when I exercise. I'm hoping my heart will behave more appropriately with exercise. I plan to be around for quite some time but this won't happen if I don't take charge of my health and well-being. Now is the time.

I've mapped out a training schedule for the next week - running, biking, swimming and yoga. I'll have to make this schedule on a week-to-week basis as I need to plan around work and family obligations. Wish me luck!